Saturday, June 12, 2010

UFC 115 - Liddell vs Franklin

UFC 115, June 12, 2010, GM Place, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

So, I didn't blog about 114; Rampage vs Evans but not because I didn't value it, i just simply had no time to get it done. I really liked that card.

I've also been hearing people shitting on 115. While Liddell vs Franklin is not the matchup we've all been waiting for, from top to bottom it is a good battle of quality fighters. If you're not happy with this one you're most probably a spoiled, spoiled UFC fan.

Matchups:

Chuck Liddell vs. Rich Franklin - So, the big story is that Chuck is in the best shape of his life. While he looks as lean as ever, I don't think you can fix your chin issues by working out. Franklin has his own suspect chin but I don't think his technical skills have depreciated as much as Liddell's have. I see this going to a decision in Franklin's favor but if either get gets knocked out I won't be surprised. Franklin by decision.


Patrick Barry vs. Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic - I see a 'passing of the torch', in so much as 'The' one dimensional former kickboxer turned MMA fighter is most likely gonna get beat by the new one dimensional former kickboxer turned MMA fighter. Barry is likely to bet Cro cop at what Cro Cop does best. Barry by TKO, rd 2.






Martin Kampmann vs. Paulo Thiago - thiago doesn't have the greatest striking technique but he gets away with it because h is chin is olid and he has big power. As well rounded as Kampmann is, i believe Thiago has a better ground game and will control where the fight happens. I'm taking Thiago by decision but I will not be surprised in the least if he lands a big shot on Kampmann and follows up with some type of finish.





Ben Rothwell vs. Gilbert Yvel - Yvel is a big strong dude and has the power to put away 'Big' Ben. I see Rothwell weathering the early storm and then taking over the fight. Rothwell by TKO, rd. 2.


Carlos Condit vs. Rory MacDonald - My favorite fight on this card, I really don't know what to expect. These are 2 very similar well rounded fighters and I just want to see a great fight. My gut says that Condit may be overlooking the young, Canadian phenom's skills, so I'll take Macdonald by decision.


Evan Dunham vs. Tyson Griffin - Another great fight. Dunham is very good on the ground but still needs to work on his striking, while Griffin's striking is ever improving and he's good at staying out of submission trouble. Griffin by decision.




Mac Danzig vs. Matt Wiman - Wiman by decision.




David Loiseau vs. Mario Miranda - Loiseau is gonna throw some spinning back kicks. I don't know much about Miranda but I think he puts takes 'the Crow' down and beats him up. Miranda by TKO, rd. 1.


Peter Sobotta vs. James Wilks - Wilks by decision


Ricardo Funch vs. Claude Patrick - I'm very excited to see the UFC debut of the Toronto boy Claude Patrick. I'll take Patrick by submission, rd. 1.


Jesse Lennox vs. Mike Pyle - Pyle by decision

No comments: