Friday, April 16, 2010

UFC 112 Recap & thoughts

I got 8 of 10 picks correctly (Paul Taylor pulled out of his fight with John Gunderson).

I had a lot of trouble finding a place to watch this in New York. I found a sports bar that had a sign that read 'WE PLAY ALL SPORTS', & when I asked if they were showing UFC 112, the gentleman behind the bar replied, 'What's that?'.

I did read the play-by-play online and talked to a MoCCA attendee that also happened to be a Renzo Gracie Jiu Jitsu student, and he kinda filled me in on what went down.

Back home in Toronto I watched it and here's my thoughts,

Results & Thoughts :

•Anderson Silva def. Demian Maia via unanimous decision – retains UFC middleweight title - This fight was not as bad as I had heard. Anderson acted ridiculous. He clearly couldve taken out Maia whether he was engaging or counter striking and it is very frustrating as a fan to watch him have little fits because Maia not straight boxing with him. I cant wait to see Anderson vs Chael Sonnen. Sonnen doesn't fuck around.

Frankie Edgar def. B.J. Penn via unanimous decision (50-45, 48-47, 49-46) – becomes new lightweight champion - Right away something was up. Penn had his knee bandage, he didn't look as lean and muscular as he did in his last 2 performances, and he certainly looked uninspired. Leading me to believe that because of his knee he had trouble with his cardio. I thought, great, if BJ loses he is gonna make excuses. Even though this was a sluggish BJ, who was lacking that killer instinct and was not getting in and out of exchanges as quickly as we know he can, I still thought he got the better of the exchanges for the first 4 rounds. Edgar was more active but wasn't landing like Penn was. I scored the fight 49-46 for Penn. I could wouldnt argue if you said Frankie won the last 2 rounds but he did not win that fight. Judge Doug Crosby scored the fight 50-45 for Edgar. Everyone is talking about how Anderson is a joke now, but the biggest joke is Crosby's scorecard. Crosby is a joke with a terrible track record and should never judge again. I am not a BJ Penn fan. I dont like that everytime BJ loses he has a lame excuse. Since Penn's loss to St. Pierre he has seemed more humble & I am very surprised he hasn't made any excuses. The UFC is now talking about an immediate rematch and I think we'll see the real Penn show up and get his belt back. Like him or not, BJ is still the best 155'er in the world.

Matt Hughes def. Renzo Gracie via TKO (strikes) - Round 3, 4:40 - Hughes does look like a shell of his former self. I thought there was still a lot of fight left in him but I was incorrect. Renzo was clearly over matched and Hughes stuck to a very conservative gameplan. It worked but I dont feel like I need to see him in the octagon anymore.

Rafael dos Anjos def. Terry Etim via submission (armbar) - Round 2, 4:40 - dos Anjos is a badass. He showed great patience and experience in the first round, getting out of a guillotine choke. His kimura transition to armbar finish of Etim was beautiful. dos Anjos has been getting better and better each time out.
•Mark Munoz def. Kendall Grove via TKO (strikes) - Round 2, 2:50 - Munoz still showed tha he has a ton of holes in his game. The only reason he won this fight is because of Grove's glass chin. I was not impressed at all with Munoz.

•Phil Davis def. Alexander Gustafsson via submission (anaconda choke) - Round 1, 4:55 - There is nothing better in the world than watching a perfectly executed anaconda choke. I can't stop rewatching this. I can't wait to see the ever-improving Phil Davis back in the Octagon.
•Rick Story def. Nick Osipczak via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)

•DaMarques Johnson def. Brad Blackburn via TKO (strikes) - Round 3, 2:08

•Paul Kelly def. Matt Veach via submission (guillotine choke) - Round 2, 3:41

•Jon Madsen def. Mostapha Al-Turk via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)

No comments: