Monday, December 21, 2009

Childhood Heroes Part 1 : Simon Williams, Wonderman

I am going to start posting sketches of my favorite heroes from when I was a kid/teenager. Not just comic book super heroes but anything like wrestlers, movie stars, cartoons, rockstars, ya know, all that shit.
I'll most likely be doing this about once a month, since I will just sketch a bunch of drawings of the chosen character over a few weeks.

To start it all off, I chose one of my all time favorite super heroes,

Simon Williams, AKA WONDERMAN.


My favorite comic book when I was in grade 5 was the Gerard Jones written, Jeff Johnson drawn, early 90's Wonderman series. Wonderman was a part-time WestCoast Avenger trying to make it as an actor in Hollywood. It was one part Peter Parker, one part Bruce Banner, one part Melrose Place combined to make one of the best comic book runs of the 90's. He was like Peter Parker but not as smart, like Superman but not as important. Many consider Simon Williams to be a 'B' character in the super hero world but he has always been an 'A' to me.

I'm not sure what's happening with him now in the Marvel universe. The last I seen he had some crazy glowing ionic power all around him but I'll take my Simon Williams with a black tank top and a big red 'W' anyday.

1 comment:

dylanio21 said...

He was funny in Mighty Avengers.