Tuesday, November 17, 2009

UFC 105 round up

UFC 105 - my thoughts ,Randy Couture def. Brandon Vera by Decision - Like everyone, I thought Brandon Vera should've got the 'W' from the judges, but I was not surprised to see him do 'not enough' to sway the judges his way. I felt like Randy wasted too much time fighting for the takedown & not getting it. When Randy started to dirty box in the clinch in rounds 2 & 3 he started having some success. If Vera continues to second guess himself he will never be in contention for a title & will always be a 'win 2, lose 1' kind of fighter. I scored it Rd1 10-10, Rd2 10 -9 Vera, Rd3 10-9 Vera, 30-28 Vera. The judges gave the win to Randy because I believe most MMA judges don't understand the difference between octagon control/aggressiveness & EFFECTIVE octagon control/effective aggressiveness. Dan Hardy def Mike Swick, by Decision - I was very impressed with Hardy's improved takedown defense. Looks like 'the Outlaw' is next in line for a welterweight title shot. Along with the good majority of MMA fans, I don't think Hardy will stand much of a chance against GSP. While Hardy has great striking skills & a solid chin, he repeatedly got hit by Swick's jab, while St Pierre likes to rely on his double & sometimes triple jab. Hardy may have been able to stuff Swicks takedown attempts but GSPs double leg takedowns are second to none. I still want to see this fight, Hardy always has a punchers chance. Matt Serra did.
Michael Bisping def Denis Kang by TKO, rd 2 - I can't think of another fighter that can have early success & then just completely fall apart like Kang does. I will say that Bisping showed off some improved offensive wrestling but in reality, Kang lost that fight more than Bisping won it. Matt Brown def. James Wilks by TKO, rd 3 - Brown showed an improved gas tank & this fight went exactly as I thought it would. Ross Pearson def. Aaron Riley by TKO (cut, doctor stoppage), rd 2 - Pearson is a beast & the second I saw Riley's face get busted open I knew it was over. I would really like to see Ultimate Fighter 8 Lightweight winner, Efrain Escudero vs Ultimate Fighter 9 Lightweight winner, Pearson but I highly doubt Zuffa would put that together just yet. Pearson should make some noise @ 155lbs.

John Hathaway def. Paul Taylor Decision (Unanimous)
Terry Etim def. Shannon Gugerty by Submission (Guillotine Choke),rd.2
Nick Osipczak def. Matt Riddle by TKO(Punches),rd.3
Dennis Siver def. Paul Kelly by TKO(Spinning Back Kick and Punches),rd.2
Alexander Gustafsson def. Jared Hamman by KO (Punches), rd 1
Andre Winner def. Roli Delgado by KO (Punches),rd 1


I went 7-4 in my picks for UFC 105. I forgot to mention UFC 104, I went 8-3 while Milo went a dismal 2-9.

No comments: