Friday, November 13, 2009

UFC 104/Strikeforce round up & UFC 105 Picks

I've been neglecting this blog as of late, but rest assured I am back. I had a lot of problems with my computer, I bought a new one, & I am just now all set up & ready to go.


I feel I missed the boat & will be beating a dead horse with my thoughts on the UFC 104: Machida vs Shogun controversy, so I will quickly run down my thoughts on that & last weeks Strikeforce : Fedor vs Rogers.

I really enjoyed the overall UFC 104 fight card & even though the main event was marred by the judges decision, I thought it was a great 5 round title fight. When watching it live, I scored the fight the same as the judges, 48 -47 for Lyoto Machida, with the champ taking the first 3 rounds. After rewatching it I scored it a 48-48 draw, with Machida taking rounds 1& 3, Shogun rounds 4 & 5, an round 2 a 10-10. they will do a rematch as soon as Machida is ready & I think that is great for everyone. More people will watch the second time around & it will turn both Machida & Shogun into household names.

Last weekend was the Strikeforce : Fedor Emelianenko vs Brett Rogers, free on CBS. This was a great card to showcase the top talent that Strikeforce has. I loved the Fabricio Werdum vs Antonio Silva, Gegard Mousasi vs Remeau Sokoudjou , & the Jason 'Mayhem' Miller vs Jake Sheilds fights. It was perfect for Strikeforce too because the main event ran a little long & a lot of people who were tuning in to watch the 11 o'clock news got to see Fedor knock out the huge Brett Rogers.


UFC 105
Randy Couture vs. Brandon Vera - This is the hardest fight for me to pick, but I'll go with Randy to push Vera up against the cage & beat him up for 3 rounds. A lot of people are saying that Vera's Greco-Roman background will help him to counter Randy's great wrestling techniques but I've seen Randy do what he always does against better wrestlers than Vera. On top of that Vera has turn into a counter striker that doesn't really counter, & second guesses himself too much. Vera should've finished Krystof Soszynski & he has all the skills in the world to stop a 46 year old Couture but I'll take Randy by Decision.


•Dan Hardy vs. Mike Swick - Another tough one to call. I think Hardy has the advantage standing up, but as long as Swick comes with a good game plan & takes it to the ground he should get the win. I like Hardy but I don't think he'll get past the more well rounded Swick. Ill take Swick by Decision.

Michael Bisping vs Dennis Kang - I'll take Kang by TKO, rd 3. Kang has the better stand up & he should be able to throw some combo's together & take Bisping down whenever he wants. Bisping doesn't have what it takes to capitalize on Kangs defensive mistakes & when he sees that the fight is not going his way I expect him to get frustrated & lose.

Matt Brown vs James Wilks - Wilks looked good coming off winning the Ultimate Fighter season 9 but it was a pretty poor talent pool. Brown has the better all around skills, the only problem is his cardio. I like Matt Brown to win by TKO rd 2, as long as he doesn't gas.

Aaron Riley vs Ross Pearson - Riley is the lightweight gatekeeper & Pearson should get the win here. Riley is tough as hell though so I think Pearson by Decision.


PRELIMINARY CARD

•Terry Etim vs. Shannon Gugerty - Etim by Decision
•John Hathaway vs. Paul Taylor - Hatthaway by submission, round 2
•Nick Osipczak vs. Matthew Riddle - Osipczak by Decision
•Paul Kelly vs. Dennis Siver - Kelly by Decision
•Alexander Gustafsson vs. Jared Hamman - Hamman by TKO, Round 2
•Roli Delgado vs. Andre Winner -
Winner should run over Roli Delgado. Winner by TKO, round 1.

1 comment:

watch ufc online said...

Same feelings here, I really enjoyed the overall UFC 104 fight card & even though the main event was marred by the judges decision, to watch ufc online no doubt is a great entertainment for ufc lovers.