Friday, September 18, 2009

Fight Night 19/ TUF 10 - Thoughts

Wednesday was super busy for me, I was super tired. After working, then babysitting my little brothers, I met up with friends @ the Spotted Dick on Bloor st. to watch the Ultimate Fight Night 19. Immediately following, we headed over to the Phoenix to catch the Clutch concert. Immediately after Clutch's first encore we grabbed a cab home to watch the repeat of the season premiere of Ultimate Fighter 10.
All in all, it was a good day.


Here's my run down of the UFC action.


UFN 19
OFFICIAL RESULTS

•Nate Diaz def. Melvin Guillard via submission (guillotine choke) - Round 2, 2:13
Guillard shouldn't be in MMA. He's a talented, fast striker but he has no ground game. none. out of his 8 losses, 7 have been submissions. In fact, I believe Guillard has great potential as a boxer or K1 guy. Melvin was beating up on Nate pretty good. For being one of the tallest lightweights Diaz does not use his reach to keep distance. Nate was not connecting with anything & was considerably slower than the tiny Guillard, but Melvin got caught like I said he would, round 2 submission. If Guillard is not going to focus on his submission defense or sprawl, maybe he shouldn't try to take down a Jiu Jitsu guy by diving head first into his guard.

•Gray Maynard def. Roger Huerta via split decision (28-29, 30-27, 30-27)
This was a great fight. Again, exactly what I thought was going to happen, Huerta was competitive for 3 rounds but Gray was better at everything.

•Carlos Condit def. Jake Ellenberger via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
Great fight. Condit was in trouble in the first round but he pulled out the win. Close fight to call.

Nate Quarry def. Tim Credeur via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-27, 29-28)
Best fight of the night. Both of these guys are very tough. Tim showed that he has a ton of potential to do things in the middleweight division, as he continues to improve. Nate showed a bit more power & experience which got him the 'W' in the judges eyes.

•Brian Stann def. Steve Cantwell via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
I didn't realise that this was a rubber match. I didn't watch but I heard that this could've easily been a draw. Neither of these guys will ever do anything relevant in the stacked Light-Heayweight division.

•Mike Pyle def. Chris Wilson via submission (guillotine choke) - Round 3, 2:15

•C.B. Dollaway def. Jay Silva via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
Dollaway won but he was hurt real bad & after the judges decision he had to be helped from the ring. I look forward to seeing Silva in the octagon again. He needs to improve on a lot of aspects of his game, but he is an exciting fighter with very decent striking & a lot of potential. I should've picked Dollaway for the win, but I was looking to switch it up & I thought Silva had a ton of potential for the upset & I was almost right. Dollaway looked like he didn't want that 3rd round.

•Jeremy Stephens def. Justin Buchholz via TKO (doctor's stoppage, cut) - Round 1, 3:23

•Mike Pierce def. Brock Larson via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)


•Ryan Jensen def. Steve Steinbeiss via technical submission (guillotine choke) - Round 1, 3:56

Phillipe Nover had a pre fight seizure so his fight with Sam Stout was cancelled.

For the Fight Night, I did pretty bad (6 out of 10), but it was mostly on the under card fights where I wasn't as familiar with the fighters ( got all main card fights right). I thought this was an excellent event.



Ultimate Fighter 10 - I am super surprised at how much I enjoyed this episode. I'm not going to be giving weekly updates of my thoughts but I will most likely stick around for the whole season. I expect them to keep Kimbo from fighting until the later episodes, & I will stick with my assumption that Roy Nelson is going to win the whole thing.

No comments: